The UBC-Langara Aboriginal Transfer Program, the first of its kind in B.C, will offer up to $8,500 in scholarships to Aboriginal students, plus guaranteed admission to UBC’s Faculty of Arts and personalized support from Aboriginal advisors at both institutions.
“This program is designed to provide Aboriginal students the support they need to successfully transition to UBC and excel in their studies,” says Linc Kesler, UBC’s Senior Advisor to the President on Aboriginal Affairs and a professor in the Faculty of Arts.
Program students will complete one or two years of courses at Langara, including a newly created Aboriginal Plus Program, which aims to prepare students for academic success through workshops, extracurricular events, and support from Aboriginal faculty and staff at both institutions.
Langara students who meet program requirements will receive guaranteed admission to the Faculty of Arts at UBC’s Vancouver campus. By maintaining high academic standards, program students will be eligible for the scholarships.
“Langara is very excited to be able to offer this program to our Aboriginal students,” said Larry Railton, Manager of Services for Aboriginal Students, Langara College. “Supporting our Aboriginal community is a priority and this program will go a long way towards providing new and exciting pathways for our students.”
Learn more about the UBC-Langara Aboriginal Transfer Program at: www.transfer.aboriginal.ubc.ca. Visit UBC’s Aboriginal website at: http://aboriginal.ubc.ca or Langara’s at http://www.langara.bc.ca/student-services/aboriginal-services/index.html
- Program students are eligible for up to $8,500 in scholarships ($7,500 while at UBC and $1,000 while at Langara)
- UBC offers more than $600,000 annually in scholarships, fellowships and bursaries for Aboriginal students
- UBC has more than 1,000 Aboriginal students; Langara has more than 350
- Between 2008 and 2012, the number of Aboriginal undergraduate students admitted to UBC has doubled
- Planning is underway to expand the program to other faculties