UBC Dentistry Team Serves Penelakut First Nation

This past July [2010], dental and dental hygiene students, alumni and faculty of UBC Dentistry, along with community dentists and other volunteers, donated their time and professional skills to the people of Penelakut First Nation. The community volunteer clinic took place over a weekend on Kuper Island, a small, 8.66-square-kilometre island located east of Chemainus, BC, a town on Vancouver Island.

Aboriginal language program brings together students and community

The First Nations Language Program (FNLG) was initiated in 1997 to establish community-based collaborations with communities to document and preserve Aboriginal languages

I.A.H. Opens Medicinal Gardens

The Institute of Aboriginal Health and the Department of Family Practice have received a grant through the Healthy Workplace Initiatives fund to create indoor and outdoor medicinal gardens at the Family Practice admin offices as well as for a series of workshops and tours during the coming year. There are several opportunities for students to […]

The CEDAR Summer Camp Program

Submitted by Mette Bach The CEDAR Summer Camp is an initiative that involves at least fifty volunteers from various departments at UBC. The program welcomes forty Aboriginal youth from the Lower Mainland each year to take part in fun experiments, workshops, and hands-on learning. CEDAR, which stands for Cross-cultural Education through Demonstration, Activity and Recreation, […]

Stories from the Humanities 101 Programme

By Dr. Margot Leigh Butler, Academic Director “To me, writing has become a way of coping with life. Ten years ago I was living in the streets of the Downtown Eastside, a chronic alcoholic, a drug addict. I started to attend a life skills class at the Pride Centre. There I analyzed why I was […]

Page 9 of 11« First...7891011

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

First Nations House of Learning
1985 West Mall,
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2, CA
Tel: 604-822-8940

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC  | © Copyright The University of British Columbia